Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Anchor locker floor rotten

Craig Briggs

On our SN the port bow locker has a factory installed drain plug with screw cap. It allows you to drain any water from the storage lockers into the chain locker which then flows to the bilge sump, like anchor chain water does. Great for washing the lockers and I've kept it on the replacement floor. Have assumed the SM's had similar construction.
Craig Briggs, SN#68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <greatketch@...> wrote :

James,

I went to look for the name of the core material used, and I can't find it.  My recollection is that 5/8 inch thick Dynacell was specified.  Pretty much any of the PVC or Urethane foam core boards would work.

One thing we did was skip the extra day of labor to gelcoat the bottom of the lockers.  Seemed like a lot of dollars for a very minor cosmetic upgrade to the bottom of a storage locker.

I think losing a bow locker lid is a vanishingly small probability, but if it happened, I'd be far more concerned about the ton (literally!) of water in the bow locker than with the slow drain to the bilge.  If I thought the bilge was being overwhelmed, and I really wanted to stop water moving aft in such an emergency, I could always close the valve in the drain line in the forward cabin, or in the saloon.  But I am pretty sure I'd be falling off and sailing downwind or heaving-to until I figured out a way to get at least a mostly sealed cover jury-rigged.

A far more likely concern--to me--is a more modest leak from a poorly secured lid or other leak point (the forestay chainplate?) that fills the locker slowly over the course of a passage with no good way to drain it--hence the limber holes.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
North Bimini, Bahamas

---In amelyachtowners@..., <lokiyawl2@...> wrote :

Bill,

   A sealed locker for the stowage of wet chain/rode is a tough place for wood to survive for very long so I think that you are on the right track with removing the organics.  Which foam core material did you decide to use?

    I guess the possibility  exists of a locker lid being damaged or even lost in conditions where the locker could be flooded,  but I suspect that you have already calculated a safe size for your limber holes to prevent flooding the bilge.  Other than this consideration,  I think that limber holes are a good idea.

   Enjoy the Bahamas,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On Jan 6, 2018, at 10:41 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I had planned to do our locker floors myself, but my better half convinced me I had better things to do (smart girl!) I was even more appreciative of her advice when watching the guy who did the work climb out of the locker covered with dust after grinding in prep for the  lamination work.

Our plywood floors were replaced by foam core, with glass laminate on both sides.  It will last the life of the hull with never another issue.

We also added permanent limber holes in the floor of the lockers.  I tried really, really hard to think of a good reason to hold water in the lockers and not let it drain to the bilge and I could not come up with a reason why water should pool there and not be pumped overboard.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
North Bimini, Bahamas