Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Liferaft, Locker or Deck Cradle?

WILLIAM KLEIN <sidecar1@...>

In my opinion an liferaft in a locker may be useless in an emergency situation. To lift a raft out of a locker may be very difficult in storm conditions. I know mine was hard to remove from the lazerette when I was at a dock! When I replace mine it would be with a deck mounted cannister . -- Bill Klein - SV Popeye
----- Original Mesage -----
From: joemac4sail
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2008 1:26 PM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Liferaft, Locker or Deck Cradle?

factor. Looking forward to reading your suggestions.=20=20 Joe McDonnell=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20 ------=_NextPart_000_0002_01C89D76.AECF6BB0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
The question of where the liferaft should be positioned on our club
owned Santorin has arisen. It has been suggested that it would be
better if the liferaft was mounted on the rail or deck. Personally I'm
of the opinion that if it ain't broken don't fix it and for the last
thing I would want to abandon, to get into a liferaft, is an Amel. But
the suggestion has come from a respected club member with vast sea
experience,and as it is a club boat with various levels of
experience,this suggestion has to be evaluated. As we are new to the
Amel Family (3 years now and enjoying it thoroughly), I hope that the
vast experience out there will come to my aid. The Club is called The
East Coast Garda Sailing Club based in Dun Laoire, Ireland. We are
basically a group of people with an interest in sailing who got
together to do a bit of cruising during the summer and day sailing
during the winter on the Santorin "Khamsin B" We also are involved
racing on our other boat. The purchase of Khamsin as you can immagine
has extended out our horisons big time, but with that comes the safety
factor.
Looking forward to reading your suggestions.
Joe McDonnell