Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Liferaft, Locker or Deck Cradle?

Robin Cooter <robincooter@...>

After we purchased our Santorin and before we made a trans-atlantic crossing we meticulously checked out all our safety gear. The liferaft, in a valise, was stowed in the "liferaft locker" midships on the port side. We made a dummy run to "launch" it. We used the eye under the mast to rig a a block and tackle to lift the liferaft (we had struggled to lift it manually through the opening.) Rigging the tackle was very quick but the problem was that the valise would not go through the opening. After about 15 minutes we managed to work it through. Balancing the conditions in which it might be used v the adrenalin rush from the emergency we decided to repace he valise (which was 10 years old but still certificated.) with a canister which is stowed in a quick release mount outside the rails on the port side aft. The only problems we have had with this arrangement is that it has at times caught on posts, protrusions from docks and the like. We have a fender on the
outboard side of the liferaft and as such we have never suffered anything worthy of entering in the log!

The message has to be try a timed launch with a crew who have had nothing other than a normal safety briefing and see if the result is acceptable to you.

Regards,

Robin Cooter,
Santorin 004, Belouga.

joemac4sail <joemac4sail@yahoo.ie> wrote:

The question of where the liferaft should be positioned on our club
owned Santorin has arisen. It has been suggested that it would be
better if the liferaft was mounted on the rail or deck. Personally I'm
of the opinion that if it ain't broken don't fix it and for the last
thing I would want to abandon, to get into a liferaft, is an Amel. But
the suggestion has come from a respected club member with vast sea
experience,and as it is a club boat with various levels of
experience,this suggestion has to be evaluated. As we are new to the
Amel Family (3 years now and enjoying it thoroughly), I hope that the
vast experience out there will come to my aid. The Club is called The
East Coast Garda Sailing Club based in Dun Laoire, Ireland. We are
basically a group of people with an interest in sailing who got
together to do a bit of cruising during the summer and day sailing
during the winter on the Santorin "Khamsin B" We also are involved
racing on our other boat. The purchase of Khamsin as you can immagine
has extended out our horisons big time, but with that comes the safety
factor.
Looking forward to reading your suggestions.
Joe McDonnell

Yahoo! for Good helps you make a difference