Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Inverter/Charger wiring advise

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Ahh Bill. That is the missing link for me. I was wondering how one gets around that specific problem with a powerful inverter/charger system like this which switches automatically. By the way we also installed the separate control unit which is up above the dishwasher next to the boat's usual AC control switches. Normally when charging and/or using ac power we have this switch switched on the the RHS "inverter" mode.

Since installing the Victron Multi we have never used our old battery chargers, firstly since they are no longer needed other than backup, but also till I got my head around this specific loop problem you mentioned of inverter potentially powering the chargers!!
.
We will be in a marina again soon so will have an electrician take our two Dolphin battery chargers off the 2nd power output now.

Thanks again

Colin
SV Island Pearl II, Amel53 #332
Phuket.

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 3:17 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I used the secondary output of the Victron for the second battery charger because it was the one thing that I would NEVER want be powered by the inverter pulling power from the batteries.

For those of you who might not be familiar with the Victron setup, the Primary Output is powered by either lines power OR the inverter, while the secondary output is lines power ONLY and is shut down if lines power is not available, so it never feeds off the battery.

Bill Kinney
Sm160, Harmonie
North Bimini, Bahamas.

---In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Bill

Thanks a ton for your explanations and diagram. A huge help to me and peace of mind that we have it done the same way as your system. Interesting that you sent your 2nd power out of the Victron to the 2nd charger. I had not though of that and did not use that 2nd power out feature yet.

On our previous boat, an Island Packet, we had the exact same 100% duplicated 110v and 230v systems running through a Heart2000 system 110v, and then the same Mastervolt 2000 inv-ch, so I understand how yours was done too.

All the very best to you in 2018, we intend to be in the Caribbean in 2019 Feb.

Best regards

Colin
Amel53 #332
Phuket till end Jan then Maldives till April.

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445