Re: Inverter/Charger wiring advise

John Clark

Yes I agree the thread was getting confusing.  I pasted the part I am focusing at the moment below:

Bill: When the generator is running, it connects the AC Safety Ground and Neutral together inside the generator.

John:  RIGHT AND NOW THAT YOU REMIND ME I NEED TO VERIFY THE CONDUCTIVITY BETWEEN THE AC NEUTRAL (BLUE) AND AMEL BONDING (GREEN/YELLOW) WHILE THE GENERTOR IS RUNNING.  WHEN OFF THE TRANSFER SWITCH REVERTS TO SP.  SO WHEN I CHECKED IT I WAS READING RESISTANCE OF THE SP CABLE  UNPLUGGED.

Bill: It can be a little tough to measure by resistance, since you have to measure with the generator running, and small voltages can make the ohm-meter nuts. I checked voltage readings with the generator running between hot and neutral (220V) and between Hot and Safety Ground (220V) and then between Neutral and Safety Ground (~0V) which is what I'd expect.

John: This morning I fired up the generator and checked the voltages, here is what I got with no loads energized:

Hot(brown) to neutral(blue)  226VAC  as expected

Hot(brown) to ground(green/yellow)  113vAC

Neutral(blue) to ground(green/yellow) 113vAC

My interpretation is the generator is internally wired internally as split phase(115/230) but connected to the boat only at the two hots(L1&L2 yielding 230) as in column C of the drawing attached below.  As far as the question, is it grounded, we cannot tell from voltage readings because we are just seeing the voltage across the working generator field windings.   I will have to open up the generator control head to see exactly how it is wired.

I am not inclined at this point to tinker with the internal connections as the genset has been in service like this without issues for ten years.    My receipts indicate the unit was installed in France where the 230/50hz power scheme should be well understood.

More cogitating.