From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of john martin
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:11 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] 2 topics: Algae-X and the SM aft cabin vanity

I'd like to thank the gentleman on this net who wrote a few years ago about
installing an Algae-X fuel filter in his SM to eliminate the constant black
streak problem from the engine exhaust. I bought one a year ago and have
not had to clean the side of the boat since. I don't know how it works, but

you just install it and forget about it, absolutely no maintenance. The
best $170 I ever spent !

I also want to offer a belated response to emails some time ago about the
aft cabin vanity. We never used the vanity and it occupies a lot of volume
so we decided to make a cabinet out of it. See photos on this site in our
folder "Moon Dog". The little seat removes very easily (and can be
reinstalled easily as well). We put one shelf inside, made of 16" deep
household variety plastic coated wire shelving) that rests on the conduit
ridge molded into the hull and is screwed to the existing bulkheads. The
cabinet front is just a pices of varnished mahogany plywood, with 2 doors
similar in style to the Amel doors (although we need to stain the edging
dark to match the rest of the boat). We left the carpet in and the cabinet
front is screwed in on each side through the existing bulkheads. All our
"improvements" can be easily removed if needed. My wife loves it as it is a

large cabinet that can hold bulky items such as linens, blankets, and many,
many pairs of shoes as well.

We also installed some very simple "book bars" in the cabin "cubbyholes".
We got tired of all the books dumping out whenever we had a somewhat rolly
passage ! See photos on this site in our folder.

John Martin
Moon Dog SM #248