Mainsail Drop

johnericmorton@...

We noticed a horizontal rip in our Super Maramu 2000 Mainsail about a metre down from the top of the mast.

It seems to be at a horizontal sail fabric joint/stitched seam.   Perhaps the fabric is thicker at that point and it has been slowly chafing / rubbing over a 5 year period of light use.

I thought it would be a "five minute job" to release at the winch and allow the mainsail to slide down the groove in the shaft.

I untied near the bottom gearbox but despite furling in and out several times and then pulling hard at the bottom with the sail fully unfurled the mainsail is stuck solid.  Any clues?

I plan to climb up the mast next week to take a look.  Maybe its jammed in the groove near the top or????

Any guidance / tips from the experts would be appreciated.

John and Mali Morton

Wanderer SM

Auckland NZ.