Re: Mainsail Drop

Ian Park

My mainsail halliard was stuck after 18 months out of the water, so I couldn’t put the mainsail on. At Le Marin the AMEL lads got it moving by hauling down hard while turning the furl in motor back and forward so there was movement between the foil and the roller. This unstuck it. The top furler has a delrin core bearing which had got stuck. They weren’t sure whether it had deformed in the heat, but after spraying it with silicone spray it moved freely and was fine to use. I guess it probably got a lot of dust washed down between the bearing and the foil.

We also sprayed the bolt rope with silicone spray and it made the hoist very easy.

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN 96 - Antigua