Re: Bilge Grounding strap jrjrjrrouse

svbebe <yahoogroups@...>

Eric,

All we had was a 1/2" bit and it was too small. We had to work the bit
in the hole to enlarge it. The new strap is 1/8" copper and drills
easily. Unfortunately I did not measure the keel bolt, just made the
hole big enough by comparing it to the nut. My guess is that 3/4" will
do.

A couple of hints:

* You will need several 1/2" drive extensions to reach the nut. I
think I had 2 - 12" and 1 - 8" extensions
* Place some masking tape inside the socket to bind the nut...that
way the nut comes up or goes down with the socket.
* Since I did first this job I found some copper wire lug bolts. Let
me describe these: They look like a copper bolt and nut; except,
excluding the head, the bolt is split down the length of the bolt. I
used 2 of these. Drill a hole for bolt in the new strap and push the
bolt through the hole...now push the clean bare ends of the wires
through the space in the bolt. Tighten the nut on the bolt and you will
have an all copper connection.
We are on the Pacific side of the Canal and departing for the Galapagos
tomorrow...If there is anything else, let me know today as I will be
without Internet for some time.

Best,

Bill with Judy
Cruising on s/v BeBe SM2 #387

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "eric freedman" <kimberlite@...>
wrote:

Hi,
how large is the hole that you drilled in the end of the bilge
grounding strap to acomodate the keel bolt?
I am headed off to the carib to replace it and want to make sure i
have the right size drill bit.
Thanks
eric
sm376 likberlite