Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Coppercoat?

smiles bernard

Many thanks for your thoughts and experiences on this subject
Very much appreciated.
I coppercoated a folding tri I owned and loved the stuff.
I’m happy to dive on the hull and clean of occasional slime etc
Our maramu does not have the same drive as the SMs so I might not need to lift every year.
Plus a couple of factors specific to our boat and situation :
1. We have her on the hard in a warm place and she’ll be laid up for 6 months so she’d be nice and dry pre application
2. On haul out The current anti fouling was crazed / hair line cracked in various places. The paint guy in the yard sanded the antifoul off in one patch and said all that is beneath is primer hen hull. No epoxy and he recommended removing all crazed anti foul and primer then expoxying before anything else

So it’s tempting to go for it and coppercoat but it is expensive and we are on a tight budget  as get ready to  quit jobs and head off soon

All the best
Miles

On 10 Jan 2018, at 15:18, Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bernard, Mark,

 We have had Coppercoat on since 2010. As reported before on this site we had mixed views the first season--the boat had been stationary in a muddy river in the UK for 6 months after application and in particular we hadn't given is a gentle sanding down before launch.

 Since then we have been very happy, though it's fair to say that the boat is now ashore most winters. We've been in the Med all this time, except for a few months on the west coast of Scotland.

A little slime builds up after a couple of months but comes off very easily.

 Application is actually pretty easy, though as with all such jobs it's important to prepare properly. In our case that meant sand blasting 10 years of antifouling. The guy who did it used a machine so precise that the gel coat looked as though it had just left the mould.

 At that point get a surveyor to run his moisture meter over the hull and give you a written report that it is in good order. After that, in our case, they had to slightly roughen up the gelcoat surface as we chose to put two coats of ordinary epoxy on before the Coppercoat. The iron keel needs to treated carefully with appropriate epoxy on a completely dry day.

 Once that preparation had been done, painting on the Coppercoat was very simple using a roller. It's a water based paint. It's really important to mix one litre at a time as the copper powder is heavy. You need one person mixing while another rolls. You can pretty well roll one coat straight away on another. There is not a lot of drying time needed--check on the instructions.

 We had sanded and painted antifouling for 33 years before we found Coppercoat and it achieves for us everything we hoped for.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Preveza, Greece