Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Generator charging question

Ryan Meador

Hi Eric,
The cable reads "Silec Tenaflex SR 3G2.5mm2 USE H07 RNF 221".  That seems to pretty clearly mean the conductors are 2.5 sq mm, though if you think differently, please let me know.  This corresponds to approximately 13AWG, as you say.  The chart you linked does not list current limits, but the one I linked earlier does (if you fix the link. Yahoo seems to enjoy adding extra dots; it did the same for yours the first time).  I have not been able to divine the temperature rating of the wire, but 105°C does not seem unreasonable given the manufacturer claims it's good for high temperature environments (I contacted them early this week but haven't heard back).  Thus, I conclude from the table it rated for 26A under ABYC standards.  I do not know why this would be more permissive than USA building code, but I wonder if it might have something to do with the temperature rating.  I haven't been able to find a solid source for the temperature rating of Romex, but it sounds like it might be 60°C.

Thanks,
Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:36 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ryan are you meaning 2.5 mm diameter cable this is 10 gauge.  2.5 sq (cross section ) is something like 13 USA gauge.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376