Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Generator charging question

greatketch@...

Chuck,

The original Amel shore power system was designed to carry a maximum of 16 amps at 220V.  If the world was perfect, we would only ever plug into 220V shore power supplies that had 16 amp breakers in them, and we'd be protected inside and outside the boat.  The world is not perfect.

To be rigorous about it, a breaker on the boat does not absolutely protect the shore power cord, since there COULD be a short circuit in the cord upstream of the breaker, but it is much better than nothing.

In French wiring, the usual breakers are 5, 10, 16, and 32 amps.

In USA wiring standard breakers are 7.5, 15, 20, 30 and 50 amps.

If you connect to USA 50 amp shore power supply, you would be best to use a double pole breaker since you would want BOTH hot wires to break in case of a problem.

Assuming your wiring is identical with the original standard factory install, If you can, the best breaker to use for shore power would be a European 16 amp double pole breaker.  Second best would be a American 15 amp double pole breaker for ~7% less available power.

Bill Kinney
Sm160, Hamonie
Grand Bahama Is.

---In amelyachtowners@..., <clacey9@...> wrote :

I should be an expert by now reading through two days worth of posts. But here is my simple question and takeaway from all this. If i choose to install a breaker right inside the lazz to protect the original shore cord would I use a 15 or 20 amp breaker. Or just monitor amperage. Or replace cord that can handle 30 amps as that is the breaker into 220v panel?

Chuck
SM2K #388 Joy