Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Generator charging question

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi chuck; my personal approach would be not to change the factory installed wire sizing. Two reasons;
1- I believe all systems on Amels were designed with specific logic that have proven themselves over time
2- there may be consequences to changes that we cannot anticipate.

We are able to run all systems on board our 54 on a 16A supply source without much inconvenience, by monitoring the power usage on board. My recommendation would be to add the power meter recommended by Bill of AmelSchool.com or a similar device in a location that is visible. After a while of monitoring, you will have a good feel of current draw by each system and know which ones can be run simultaneously.

Again on our 54, the main breaker at the panel is rated at 50A while the shore power breaker on the aft lazarette is rated at 32A.

Respectfully;

Mohammad &Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

On Jan 12, 2018, at 12:55 PM, Chuck Lacey clacey9@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I should be an expert by now reading through two days worth of posts. But here is my simple question and takeaway from all this. If i choose to install a breaker right inside the lazz to protect the original shore cord would I use a 15 or 20 amp breaker. Or just monitor amperage. Or replace cord that can handle 30 amps as that is the breaker into 220v panel?

Chuck
SM2K #388 Joy

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 1:20 PM, Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,
Thank you for that data sheet.  I had not discovered it before.  It contains one piece of info that is new: the temperature rating is 85°C.  That means, by the ABYC chart, that its current rating is somewhere between 15-23A.  I guess the system really is designed for 16A shore power.  I have been overloading it... all the more reason I need to upgrade!  I apologize to anyone who I misled with my incomplete information.

Thanks,
Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 2:13 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Ryan,

This looks like your cable...

Nothing new there you haven't already figured out...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Grand Bahama Is.