Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Diaphragm Bilge Pump failure.

Dan Carlson

A bilge/sump pump update from BeBe.

About 2 weeks after launch in December the installed Marina bilge pump fails due to cracked plastic pump drive gear. (At this time the plastic piece that joins between handle and diaphram on the manual whale also broke).  I replaced the Marina electric with the back-up (rebuild of the same model)  and bought a new Whale manual (and ordered replacement parts for the broken whale).  The replacement Marina pump failed about 3 weeks later (same cracked plastic gear).  In the mean time I sent a request to SAV Amel with a picture of the broken gear. They replied that they no longer support the pump?  Then I arrived in le Marin and talked to Alban here at Amel.  He had a new pump on the shelf and a used one (the used one also had a broken plastic gear).  He said he had replacement gears on order from Amel (as they have to replace them several times a year) but no estimated delivery date.

With 4 guests arriving this week, I went over to Caribe Marine and purchased a 24v Rule 1100 lph pump off the shelf (56 euro), some short hose, a 90 degree elbow, and a piece to connect the hoses where the missing marina pump had been.  And 5 ft of wire to connect to the existing connectors.

I was pleasantly surprised with the speed that it empties the sump (comparable), and you can barely hear it.

So now i am watching this thread to decide the long term solutuon.  A) fix marina pumps if I can get replacement gears? B) pick a suitable reliable alternative, C) buy another case of Rule pumps for the cost of a new Marina pump and see how long they last...

Other thoughts?

Thanks and regards,  Dan & Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 1:32 AM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners]
wrote:

Maybe relevant....we replaced the AMFA pump with a Johnson VIKING 32.

It seems to pump at about 75% of it's rated flow.
I wonder if it has something to do with the 1.5 meter vertical feed from the sump ??
In any event the Johnson pump drains the sump noticeably faster than the original, which IMHO is a really bad design.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
Gulf Harbour...waiting for the wind to die down...