Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Diaphragm Bilge Pump failure.

greatketch@...

Don,

The problem with submersible centrifugal pumps like the Rule is they are the type of pump least tolerant of solids. They are best to pump only clean water.  Lots of things get into our sumps (which are really gray water sumps, not bilges) that have the potential to cause grief with centrifugal pumps.

You might have control over some of these things, by watching what you put down the galley sink for example, but some of the worst is hair from the shower drains that wraps around the shaft above the impeller, eventually stopping the pump from turning.

Having an electric pump constantly immersed in water is also a potential source for very serious stray current corrosion--if there is a fault in the insulation or wiring.

If you can't source an exact replacement, a Dometic/Sealand T-series discharge pump is a good alternative. Tough, long lasting, and will pump almost anything that can flow through the pipe.

Lavac also sells a 24 volt electric diaphragm pump for their vacuum toilets that might be a good choice, but I have no personnel experience with those.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Great Harbor Cay, Bahamas

---In amelyachtowners@..., <dancarlson367@...> wrote :

A bilge/sump pump update from BeBe.

About 2 weeks after launch in December the installed Marina bilge pump fails due to cracked plastic pump drive gear. (At this time the plastic piece that joins between handle and diaphram on the manual whale also broke).  I replaced the Marina electric with the back-up (rebuild of the same model)  and bought a new Whale manual (and ordered replacement parts for the broken whale).  The replacement Marina pump failed about 3 weeks later (same cracked plastic gear).  In the mean time I sent a request to SAV Amel with a picture of the broken gear. They replied that they no longer support the pump?  Then I arrived in le Marin and talked to Alban here at Amel.  He had a new pump on the shelf and a used one (the used one also had a broken plastic gear).  He said he had replacement gears on order from Amel (as they have to replace them several times a year) but no estimated delivery date.

With 4 guests arriving this week, I went over to Caribe Marine and purchased a 24v Rule 1100 lph pump off the shelf (56 euro), some short hose, a 90 degree elbow, and a piece to connect the hoses where the missing marina pump had been.  And 5 ft of wire to connect to the existing connectors.

I was pleasantly surprised with the speed that it empties the sump (comparable), and you can barely hear it.

So now i am watching this thread to decide the long term solutuon.  A) fix marina pumps if I can get replacement gears? B) pick a suitable reliable alternative, C) buy another case of Rule pumps for the cost of a new Marina pump and see how long they last...

Other thoughts?

Thanks and regards,  Dan & Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387