Re: Diaphragm Bilge Pump failure.

Gary Wells

I have to say that at first I wasn't too impressed with the 'un-Amel' solution that was installed on Adagio when we got it, but after further review I believe it was a good decision on the part of the P.O.
The original pump has been replaced by a 24v Whale Gusher diaphragm mounted about a meter above the full water level. The hose from the pump run straight down into the sump and has check (standard joker) valves both before and after the pump to prevent loss of prime. I installed new jokers in Feb., 2014 and have not had a lick of trouble since. The pump is easily accessible, a rebuild kit is readily available (although I haven't had to rebuild it yet) and it's 'relatively' inexpensive.

It probably isn't a fast to pump the bilge as the original one (takes a full minute or so) but it's quiet and I've kind of grown into liking it. Just my 2 cents worth on this kind of project.

Gary W.
SM 209 Adagio
Fethiye, Turkey