Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Fwd: Servicing Lewmar 58 winches - need help
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Friday, January 19, 2018, 11:52 AM

Hi everyone,
This is my first email to the group! Please help!
I've serviced all my Lewmar
winches on my 1994 Super Maramu except the big, electric
Lewmar 58s. The service instructions I have tell me that
after removing the drum, remove the screws holding the
center stem to the motor base. I was unable to loosen them.
Blew up a impact driver trying to do so. Left no other
option, I set about trying to remove the entire winch to
bring to the welder who claims he can get those pesky
corroded screws out by welding a bolt to each screw and
using a spanner (wrench) to remove them. So, I've
removed the electric drive and flange that attaches to the
drive shaft sleeve and finally, removed the nuts from the
bolts that pass through the deck. But now I'm
stopped.
My
questions are:
Anyone
else have this experience? If you have, I'm so sorry.
Let's start a support group.Is the base glued
to the deck or is the sealant just like mortar?
Are there any other components
holding the base to the deck?Any suggestions for
getting under the base and removing the
winch?Should I bang on the screws from
underneath? drive a screw drive under the
base?
Here are some
pictures of my status.
Starboard winch center stem and
drive base immediately after removing the drum:

Underside of the starboard
electric winch:

Steve BodeSV
IntentionAmel SM117Almerimar,