Re: Re :[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Perkins M 4 .154 engine repairs, rescheduling trip

smiles bernard

Hi there Christian
As a fellow maramu owner with an older engine I’d be interested in your thoughts about the Volvo D2/55 as a replacement vs other alternatives.

Size, simplicity, cost etc? What led you to choose the Volvo?

Many thanks and best wishes

Miles

On 21 Jan 2018, at 14:29, christian alby calbyy@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks for concern & assistance Bill
guess all the advice & analysis of fault helped me come to the conclusion (already uderstood & applied before) that there is no shortcut when repairing engines or sailing boats.
Oil pump is at fault - 100% sure
camshaft is unllikely eve though showing some wear on,poppets.

I am now in Le Marin, waiting for a firm quote on one Volvo D2/55 available for fit up ... on solution even though unplanned this year;
I am also looking for one Perkins Oil pump .... could replace in situ at no great cost & would postpone replacement by new engine to 2019
or back to Europ in April & do a change over of engines with Perkins or else ... Selling back my 'Old Faithful'

fair winds
chrsitian alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - Le Marin Martinique

Le ‎dimanche‎ ‎31‎ ‎décembre‎ ‎2017‎ ‎12‎:‎53‎:‎11‎ ‎-04, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> a écrit :

Christian,

I am afraid I have no good ideas that match your symptoms!  Since you have both the gauge and alarm reporting low pressure, I have to assume it is real and not a problem with the measurement.

Sometimes low oil level can cause low pressure at high rpm as the pump sucks so much oil out of the crankcase it sucks air, but you checked that.

A stuck open pressure relief valve that resets itself when the engine shuts down could be an an issue, but that seems unlikely.

Maybe someone else has an idea or two...  in any event do let us know what the solution turns out to be!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Key West, FL

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Here is

Yes - oil pressure gauge and l'os pressure alarme on
When oil pressure below  1 bar, alarme nées
Oil pressure drops quickly at 2000 rpm
Oil pressure remains stable when low or normal
Oil pressure remains low when reducing speed from 2000

No loss of oil single de started.
Ran 1hour maneuvring in port at 1300 rpm at 2 bars, went To idle after 1 hour at 700 rpm with 1.1 bar oil pressure.
Did  not  risk acceleration.

Thks for assiste

Christian alby - Desirade VIII - Maramu 116 - now in Mindelo Carbo Verde

Le dim., déc. 31, 2017 à 14:58, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]
<amelyachtowners@...> a écrit :

Losing oil pressure at high RPM and having it come back at low RPM is a bit of a puzzle to me.  There are ways it can happen, but they are a bit exotic

Do you have an oil pressure gauge AND an low oil pressure alarm?
If so, is the gauge showing low pressure AND you get an alarm?
Does the oil pressure drop quickly at 2000RPM or does it drift down slowly?
Is it stable, or does it bounce around?
Does it come back quickly when you reduce the RPM, or does it stay low?