Re: Amel Stainless Steel Anchor Shank Bend

Stephan Regulinski

While it is true that manufacturing by carving a piece out of solid
metal potentially has advantages over other processes (better control
of the molecular properties is one); it is difficult to believe that
this is a relevant fact to the repair of an anchor that has been
forged and welded in its original manufacture.

The anchor is not the only place where we rely on traditional
metal-working techniques. The anchor chain is welded, shackles are
forged, the bow fitting on the Amel is welded, fittings on the
riggings are swaged (a cold forging technique) and on it goes.
Fortunately, all these bits can be observed periodically; an advantage
that we have over the heart valve.

If you want a real life data point, I have bent the stainless plow
delivered on my Amel (#303) twice. The first time, it was bent back
into shape and welded at the points which showed stress from being
bent. That repair produced an anchor strong enough to suffer a second
bending without failure. At that point, I had it repaired again. In
the second repair, it was bent back into shape and then had two plates
welded across the I-beam to create a box-beam. My welder for the
second repair was of the opinion that it was stronger after the second
repair than it was brand new.

Stephan
S/V Delos

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "poirauda" <poirauda@...> wrote:

<<<<<The following email is from WASI>>>>>>>>>>>>>
……. It should take 2 people not much more than 15
minutes and will have absolutely NO negative effects on the
structural
integrity of the anchor....

Ari Grimm
WASI

May I say that I FULLY disagree with Ari Grimm's statement..
In a previous life ( :-) ), I've been involved in manufacturing
artificial heart valves and artificial hearts.. All valves have been
carved into a solid piece of titanium, as all our studies have
proved that both bending and welding the metal will change the
molecular structure and weaken the metal. Cardiac surgery is a place
where the risk factor should be absolutely ZERO..

Now, let's say that the shank is welded to the fluke.. but at a
place where the shank is much larger, and the overall resistance
should be enough..

It is very difficult to assert precisely which level of weakness re-
bending the shank straight will create.. but in doubt I think I will
change my own anchor for a new one.
Stainless steel is beautiful,
but galvanized steel (at least the one used to manufacture anchor's
shanks) is much stronger..

For more information, please have a look at my book:

"The complete anchoring hand book"

http://www.mhprofessional.com/product.php?isbn=0071475087