Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Leece Neville 175 A 24v alternator

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Nick

Yes, I believe any alternator will self-excite at higher revs.

One side of the relay has 12VDVC input when the engine start switch is turned to ON. The other side of the relay switches ON 24VDC to excite the alternator.

It is likely a loose or dirty connection on the relay.

Some Amels had the red warning light for the alternator wired in series with the excite circuit, and if that bulb were burned-out, the alternator will not excite. To be on the safe side, check that bulb, which on a SM is located on the bottom left of the 24 Volt panel.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Jan 24, 2018 12:49, "kwzy6vgkpvtfohjddjsrotobzwf2pjeafjwalhur@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

The boat is in Antigua, but I am in the UK for the moment. So you suspect that the excitation circuit needs to be checked. If this is the case I guess it self excites at the higher rpm. Would you agree?

Nick