Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Main furler gearbox

Duane Siegfri

Pat,

I didn't replace any parts, I ended up ordering a new one (almost $1,000).  The drive shaft was so badly pitted at the upper seal and the upper bearing that the Machine Shop advised turning it down to smooth it out wouldn't be a good idea.  Also, the housing surface the upper bearing race seated against was badly pitted.

You'll get the black piece out, just a matter of time.  Easy for me to say!  <;-)

You might try to apply some heat to the aluminum (wasn't the black piece plastic?).

Duane