From: sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Wed, Jan 31, 2018 4:02 am
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Main furler gearbox

I was able to get it out by tapping around the exterior of the black winch socket with a rubber mallet (you may have to tap pretty agressively).  The idea being to "tip" it progressively.  It took a while.  If it seems really stuck try some PB Blaster to dissolve any corrosion.

I'm surprised you couldn't twist the black piece when you had it in a vice.  Did you try a pipe wrench, or a strap wrench?  You might try a combination of PB Blaster the night before, then tapping to break it free of some of the corrosion and twisting with a strap wrench.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477