Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Quick question on desalator membrane replacement

Sv Garulfo

Hi Porter,

I checked again the pictures I have. The V seal  is upstream in the high pressure circuit. The tubes are marked with an arrow showing the high pressure stream direction. We have 3 tubes on our Duo 100.

First one is:
High pressure input end (red tape) -> tube -> bobbin #1 end (blue tape)

Second is:
Bobbin #2 end (blue tape) <- tube <- bobbin #1 end (red tape)

Third is:
Bobbin #2 end (red tape) -> tube -> high pressure brine output (blue tape)

So, for us, the V seal always goes on the red taped end.

From what I understand you are saying, one of your membranes is the wrong way round (the upstream one). I don't know if it matters.

Other ref:
(In French but pictures are clear. I don't agree with all advice regarding the method to remove the end caps or the use of lithium grease but nevermind)

Hope that's clearer

Thomas
GARULFO
Amel 54 #122
Le Marin, Martinique

On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 at 03:48, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Mark. Thank you very much.

I am still not 100% certain I understand at which end the black v brine seal should be.
On the first tube we have the High pressure seawater in end, then the bobbin/connect to the other tube end.
One the second tube we have the bobbin/connect to the other tube end and the hypertonic discharge end.

We ended up putting the v brine seals at the bobbin ends in each tube.

Water tasted great. But only made a few liters as was just checking functionality.

Are the elements in in correct orientation?
Does it matter?

Again. Quite appreciated. And we followed your use the high pressure pump to remove the ends advice. Excellent!

Porter
Amel54-152

On Jan 27, 2018, at 4:28 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Porter,

Oops. I forgot this part but it look like you already have the ends off.

Disconnect the high pressure hoses and separate the 2 pressure vessels. Be very careful not to damage - twist, or enlarge the holes for the interconnector between the 2 pressure vessels ( at the end opposite the HP hoses). Use water from the pressure water system - a 1/2 hose will clamp over the SS flare fitting. Cover the hole in the end plug with a thumb - turn on the water - once the air is out, the end plugs will come out easily - apply a little resistance to balance the 2 ends so that both ends get started out.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Martinique

www.creampuff.us