Bow Thruster won't come up

Duane Siegfri

We left the dock today with this series of events:

1.  Deployed bow thruster.  Tested to port and stb.  All OK.

2.  Left dock using thruster and went to fuel dock.  Along the way I toggled the thruster to go up (back into the boat).  As soon as I toggled the switch, the alarm came on that normally announces the thruster is all the way up or down.

3.  When I got to the fuel dock and tied up, I toggled the thruster to go up and it responded normally, with the alarm sounding only after it had fully risen.  Upon leaving the dock we deployed the thruster and it responded normally.  I toggled the thruster for UP and the alarm sounded instantly without moving the thruster up.

4.  I checked the fuse in the small black box in the thruster compartment and it is fine.  I tried a new one anyway and the alarm sounds as soon as it is toggled up.

5.  The thruster prop motor runs fine.

6.  I tried separating the magnetic (?) sensors that define full up or down movement (of course the "down" sensor was in contact with the static sensor), and that didn't change anything, the alarm still sounds as soon as you toggle the thruster for UP.

7.  I checked voltage across the fuse in the black box inside the thruster compartment and there are 0 volts with it on, or toggled for up or down.

8.  I checked for loose wires and didn't find anything.

Question:  what would cause the alarm for full up or down to sound when the thruster is fully down and you toggle it up?

Question:  what's the best way to raise the thruster without help from the up/down motor?

Question:   what else could I check to determine the cause?

Thanks,

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477