Re: Anchor chain counter

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

John wrote; "The unit comes with 2 metres of cable but this was cut off so
that a conection could be made in the winch !?!"

Hi John: Thanks for the info. on the chain counter electronics. I haven't
had any trouble with my chain counter but it is probably only a matter
of time. Are there other connections between the sensor and the display
unit? It is just a thought, but before replacing expensive electronic parts,
take a look at all the connections from the sensor to the indicator
looking for corrosion.

My deck level running lights quit working and I found the sockets terribly
corroded due to salt spray working its way into the AO lamps fixtures. I
bought new sockets for about $35 US each and cleaned up the wiring and
installed the sockets. They still didn't work. I checked voltage at the
bow sockets and had no voltage so I traced the wires to a junction box
in the port bow locker. I had infinite resistance when checking for
continuity. I cut the wire back thinking that I only had some
corrosion at the connectors but no matter how far I cut back I found more
corrosion. Salt water had wicked along the stranded wire all the way from
the lamp fixture on the bow pulpit clear down to the junction box in the
port locker. I had to replace the wire.

Perhaps something similar has happened with the chain counter connections.
It does live in a very hostile environment. Just a thought.

Regards, Gary
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 Hull # 335