Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] dinghy on deck during passages

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Redouan, we have a fiberglass bottom Caribe dinghy powered by a 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke , quite heavy and we love it. Planes well and is a very dry ride. We lift it on to the aft deck by the mizzen staysail halyard attached to the dinghy's bow using the main sheet electric winch to lift it. Haul it up to clear the side rails and then lower it on to the deck cross ways. We lash it tightly there. Short haul and coastal we have small davits. The outboard we lift with a line around the block at the end of the mizzen boom run to a small turning block and then to the mainsheet electric winch. Easy as.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 07 February 2018 at 18:29 "Redouan Assar Stella.AmelSM359@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thank you all for your answers, please note that I have no intention to sail far with dinghy on davits; at most some day relocation between moorings.

I was looking for a recommendation comparing forward or aft storage.  I see many SM with dinghy forward like SV Delos for example, then on the aft sun deck under the Mizzain boom.  I assume the forward location impacts visibility but I just thought I would seek advice based on experience.

Note that I inherited a heavy dinghy with an aluminium hull and 15hp engine; I feel it is too much honestly as I am used to small light dinghy to go to shore, but now that I have it I would like to find a safe location for it without impacting too much both visibility and safety while keeping handling as simple as possible.

For the moment my preferred option being upside down on the after sundeck and to use the mizzen boom for handling. and the engine mounted inside the stern locker.

Thank you again.

Stella SM359

On 7 Feb 2018, at 05:59, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

There were no original davits for the SM. It is probable a previous owner installed them.

However, please don't think about using any sort of davits for any offshore passage on a SM. Use the aft deck.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Feb 6, 2018 19:13, "Stella.AmelSM359@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello again,

I am looking at recommendations regarding storing the dinghy on deck for longer passages.  I have seen various options and photos with the dinghy forward or aft on the sundeck but would like to get recommendation from your experiences while crossing.

Stella has original davits but they look flimsy and I am not comfortable for them to be used offshore, (I plan to use them to take the dinghy out while at anchorage at night. or short good weather sailing)

Stella SM359