Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Jib Furler Drum

greatketch@...

While it is true that removing the jib furling motor is a significant project, removing the two piece furling drum is, at least in concept, quite simple.

My boat had the old style, single piece, drum which had fused to the foil and after much effort, I could not figure out how to get it off in one piece without damaging the foil so I ended up cutting it off and ordering a new style two piece unit from Amel, (at 1260 Euros).  By the way, even though the new drum is a much better design, don't change unless you HAVE to. They are NOT interchangeable! A fair amount of machining is needed to adapt the old furler and foil to the new drum.

After removing all visible fasteners, the two piece furling drum can be removed from the foil simply by splitting the two halves.  Nothing else needs to come apart.

When you get it all cleaned up, repainted (or powder coated) be sure that you use Tef-gel, or the equivalent, on ALL the fasteners and mating surfaces to reduce (avoid?) corrosion int eh future.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Little Harbour, Bahamas