Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Jib Track Plugs

James Alton

Bill,

   I think that your idea of using the silicone might be the best idea.  The filled (Grey as opposed to the clear)  Dow Corning 3145 stands up for a long time to the UV in my experience.  The 3145 was designed for electrical work  (does not contain Acetic acid) and is supposed to be non-corrosive.  Especially if you use the primer you should get a good bond and seal to the aluminum track so hopefully this would keep the salt out of there.

   Do you still like the Firefly batteries?

James
SV Sueño,  Maramu #220

On Feb 10, 2018, at 3:10 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Last year we replaced all the plugs that keep water from sitting in the recesses around the bolts that attach the jib track to the rail.  We ordered them from Amel, and I was disappointed to find that they were natural white polyethylene—not something I expected to have a reasonable lifespan in sunlight.  Sure enough, a year later they are all crumbling away.

Has anybody found a better alternative?  Maybe black plastic?  or anything else better able to handle sunlight? I haven’t been able to track anything down.

In the absence of a better alternative, I am thinking of plugging the holes with silicone sealant.  Yes, it would be something of a pain (but not impossible) to extract if I ever needed to, but I really don’t want these bolts soaking in salt water constantly.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie

Freeport, Bahamas.