Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Original sea valves

john martin <symoondog@...>

Dave, You have to take the gate valves apart to get them out. Use a heat gun to take the hose off, take the valve apart and turn it. The base is fibreglased in so it won't turn. You will probally find that the valve is British pipe thread not easy to find in the U.S. I bought mine from Amel and found that they were cheaper but I had to pay the freight. If some fibreglass is around the valve itself, just take a knife and cut it away. You should replace all the gate valves. Do whatever it takes.

John "Moon Dog" SM 248

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.comFrom: dave_benjamin@yahoo.comDate: Sun, 11 May 2008 17:16:12 +0000Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Original sea valves

Greetings,We have hauled our new to us Maramu hull #29. Most of the original seavalves are still installed and with the exception of one sticky onethey are in good order. I'm not sure about the rest of the world buthere in the US having gate style valves is discouraged since you can'ttall visually which position the valve is in. Where the older valves are used there are no conventional style skinfittings with hose attached. Can anyone tell me how much work it is tochange these valves? Is there a glassed in pipe they are attached to?How are they attached? Is it possible to change the valve withoutadding a skin fitting? I have set up a photo album named Exit Strategy. In addition to apicture of the valves in question there is a picture of a plaque withthe original boat name - Maramu III. This Maramu was Henri Amel'spersonal boat for the first six years.

http://www.windowslive.com/mobile/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_mobile_052008