Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Support for Liferaft on rails

Red1 Stella SM359

Thanks again for the feedback.

I am still thinking that the 40kg from the bottom of the locker during emergency might be an issue if I need if I need to take it out while injured.  As you say the probable moment when you would want to evacuate the boat would be in case of fire when you have no desire to be fighting with a heavy cargo at the bottom of a locker on the side of the engine room or galley.  I shall be looking for a way to have the life-raft on deck in a holder on the rails probably stern port. (As far as possible from the potential fire locations.)

I will finalise the options as soon as I get to the boat next month.

Thanks for the feedback.

On 11 Feb 2018, at 16:38, Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

hi All,

 For what it's worth, two of the most experienced sailors I have ever come across , one owning a Swan 57 with over 100,000 miles experience, the other having competed in the same boat in about 15 Sydney to Hobarts ,  plus sailed a couple of circumnavigations and the North West passage, both stowed their liferafts very securely on deck.

Both lost their liferafts in heavy weather.

The power of the sea sweeping a deck can be overwhelming.

 We keep ours in the locker..

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Preveza, Greece