Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Shaft packing

christian alby <calbyy@...>

Hi there James
hoping not to misunderstand your original query
I came across the drawing for the stuffing box installed on the propeller shaft - see attachment
matches perfectly the original as mounted on Maramu 116

concerning the engine block oïl pressure tap, I fitted the old one but did not check the size;
if stuck, I will take it out & check threads ...

fair Wind
christian alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - in Le Main Martinique

Le ‎dimanche‎ ‎11‎ ‎février‎ ‎2018‎ ‎22‎:‎59‎:‎36‎ ‎GMT, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] a écrit :

Dave,

Thanks for the information on the 4.154 sender and especially for confirming the NPT threads.  I will just add a few adaptors to my install kit and should be all set.   I have ordered from Parts4engines.com and have been very happy with what I received and the quick response time.

I repacked Sueño’s stuffing box last summer and the 5/16” was the correct size.  I think that the packing size is normally determined by the shaft diameter so I assume that yours should take the same size too.  

Best,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On Feb 11, 2018, at 1:21 PM, David Wallace svairops@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

James, 

That sounds familiar so is just what I need. 

I replaced the oil pressure sender a couple of years ago and looked the purchase up in my records, but unfortunately the unit I bought came with several adapters (itself was ⅛”-27 NPT) and I don’t recall which one, if any, was used. Hopefully someone else will have the answer for you. By the way, I came across a web site in the UK, www.parts4engines.com that lists a number of 4.154 parts. Perhaps they will have the answer if no one in the group responds with it. 

Thank for the quick response! 

Dave Wallace 
s/v Air Ops 
Maramu #104 
Sea of Cortex, Mx 

On Feb 10, 2018, at 6:15 PM, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote: 

> Dave, 
> 
> My Maramu is #220 and I am using 5/16” Teflon impregnated packing. Would anyone with a Perkins 4.154 be able to tell the thread size for the engine block oil pressure tap? I am wanting to add a mechanical oil pressure gauge. 
> 
> Thanks, 
> 
> James Alton 
> SV Sueño 
> Maramu #220 
> Arbatax, Italy 
> 
>> On Feb 10, 2018, at 3:17 PM, David Wallace svairops@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote: 
>> 
>> We’re off the boat so hopefully someone in the group can answer a quick question. What size shaft packing do I need: Maramu, original shaft size and packing housing? Thanks in advance! 
>> 
>> Dave Wallace 
>> s/v Air Ops 
>> Maramu#104 
>> Sea of Cortez, Mx 
>> 
>> ------------------------------------ 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Yahoo Groups Links 
>> 
>> 
>> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------ 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Yahoo Groups Links 
> 
> 
> 

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.