Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Insurance. Does it deliver

Ian Townsend

I agree with Danny and would like to see this conversation continue as may be relevant to us. Given what we, general Caribbean boaters and AMEL owners, have experienced this season, it is particularly relevant this year. Perhaps not as much if you are in other areas of the world. I use the last conversation string about Pantaenius as an example. No boats below 31. Saved me time from applying. Our insurer is/was Falvey who announced their exit from the yacht insurance business leaving us adrift so to speak. Now we are scrambling and trying to adjust our cruising plans for this summer. It's a big deal to us. So we appreciate all the advice given by our fellow AMEL owners.

Last thought, you don't have to read it if you don't want.

Ian Townsend
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153
George Town, Exuma, Bahamas

On Feb 21, 2018, at 4:01 AM, simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Dear Hanspeter,
I am sorry you see my contributions as 'marketing'. It is not. It is no more or less than sharing information and experience to the benefit of everyone. In this case it is regarding insurance experience, A very troubled area. No different to sharing where to source a hard to find part. It is to the benefit of all. As with all sharing it is up to individual members to make their own judgement.
Kind regards
Danny

Sent from my Vodafone Smart

On 21 Feb 2018 1:46 p.m., "'hanspeter.baettig@...' hanspeter.baettig@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Dear Mr.  Baileys and Danny
I don't like that you use this forum as an add and marketing platform. Insurance are different by countries.
Mr. Baileys; you mentioned that we need an avocate at claim? My question ? who is paying the avocate ?
Looking forward that this platform remains as a technical exchange platform
PS: there are lots of other social platforms to share individuels needs.
kr
Hanspeter
Tamango 2
SM16; Las Palmas

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 19.02.2018 um 20:49 schrieb Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Hi All,

I received a personal email asking the name of the insurance company that disappointed us. It was Haven Knox Johnson, a Lloyds of London Company. The broker was The Marina Shop of Opua NZ and the Assessor was Steve Lott of New Zealand.

We have a new Broker, Baileys Insurance brokers of Auckland NZ, and a new insurer recommended by them. QBE Marine insurers. Steve Bailey the principal of the company is a sailor himself. As always until you have a claim you don't know the quality of the insurer and we have yet to have a claim under this cover.(and hope we never will) However we have confidence in our broker.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 17 February 2018 at 07:24 "Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Further to my below, no one said no so I copy here an email from my new broker sent after he read some of the posts.

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Hi all,

I’ve been reading some of the comments posted by many of you about pleasure craft insurance policies.

I feel very sorry for you, and agreed it is not a good situation at all – but it shouldn’t be that way, and sounds like you’ve not been getting the right advice or support here.  We always use “agreed value” policies and they have worked for us and our clients as they should, many, many times.  One just less than a week ago in fact.

What you need is an advocate at claim time to ensure the claims process goes as it should – in addition t o ensuring your policy is set up correctly.  This is where an experienced Marine Insurance Broker comes in – well, a good one anyway!

There are also certain Insurance Companies to avoid out there.  Their policies aren’t worth the paper they are written on.

Sincere regards,

Neil Bailey

Director

Bailey Insurance Brokers

Auckland

New Zealand

On 16 February 2018 at 14:27 "Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 60;

Hi all,

As I said before I was burned badly by an insurance company. I changed brokers and have a "agreed value" policy with my new broker.

I forwarded him some of the correspondence because, firstly I wanted him to know what was going on and secondly to see what he said regarding my "agreed Value" policy. He has sent me a response which is helpful. He does have a good name. Is it OK for me to share his reply with the group. I'm not trying to promote him, just to add something that may be helpful.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Mangonui
New Zealand

On 16 February 2018 at 06:42 "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Alexandre, Trust me, I for one will reread my policy with a more critical eye. Its disgusting how an insurance company would look for any excuse , even an invalid one to escape their responsibly .. I will guarantee that the vast majority of boaters are not aware of these practices, and believe that they have an umbrella of protection , that in reality does not exist. I urge you guys to find a way to tell your story to a wider audience.

Pat
SM Shenanigans

Date: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 7:15 AM

The
insurance company based the premiums on the Agreed value ,
and then only will pay out based on what they determine the
market value is, because they don't want you to be
enriched ! Did they not e nrich themselves by charging
excessive premiums for coverage they probably never intended
to honor ? This kind of information needs to get out to the
entire boating community through the internet and sailing
magazines . I encourage anyone treated unfairly to relate
their story , if  it results in lost business maybe they
will get the message. If 10% of those covered by a company
cancelled and took their business elsewhere and gave the
reason why , it would get their attention. Its sad to lose a
dream .
Pat

SM Shenanigans

-----Original
Message-----

Date: Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 10:51 PM

I too have been raped by insurers in the past. I now

have a policy with an "agreed Value" . I hope
that

would help in the case of a write off.DannySM

299 Ocean PearlOn 15 February 2018 at 11:19

"Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...

[amelyachtowners]"

<amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

  Dear Rafael,

I think you need to tell

the Group “your” story about the insu rance.

We have the same insurance

Helvetia contracted through de Lassee and I really think

every Amel owner should know the ridiculous excuses they

used to remove 30% of the value of your boat.

It is not “my” place to

tell everybody the way they treated “you”, but I
will

write mine with all the details when it will be settled.

I am definitely sorry that

your vessel was destroy soon after you purchased her and
did

not had the joy of sailing her.

Sincerely, Alexandre

On Wed, 2/14/18, rcavie

<no_reply@...>
wrote:

Subject: [Am el Yacht Owners] Amel owner saying

goodbye

amelyachtowners@...

Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 1:57 PM

Dear

friends AMEL ownersProbably this

will be

the last email that I send and I will withdraw from

the group. The reason is that Hurricane

Irma

destroyed my Amel SM2k and it will be

impossible for me to

recover it.The

insurance will only pay a fraction of

what

it would cost me to buy an equal one. Deductibles and

other reasons.This situation not only

destroyed my< br>

ship but my dreams. My dreams

of living on board with my

wife, my dreams

of crossing the Atlantic to the East, my

dreams of sailing the Mediterranean and perhaps other

seas

and finally returning to the beautiful

South of

Chile.

In this

group I gained friends

and knowledge and

for that, I thank each and every one of

you, especially Eric and Alexandre who from the
beginning

helped me with their advice.

If

you sail to Chile you will have a