Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Anchor Locker

James Studdart

Out of curiosity, does penetrating epoxy work on the underside of the plywood (working against gravity). The plywood will draw in some I expect, but is it enough?

Cheers,
James.
SeaBean SM344
Tahiti, FP

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 05:56 Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Moldy pywood can be saved. Just clean it, dry well and apply penetrating epoxy. Follow instructions. Your can add a layer of fiberglass on top if needed.

Vladimir
SM 345 "LIFE IS GOOD"

On Feb 21, 2018 05:01, "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Gerhard,

This has been a popular topic recently.  It seems that this year many Super Maramus (mine included) have reached the age where the plywood in the chain locker reached the end of its useful life.  The only reason I can see for not fully encapsulating the plywood in the chain locker is just manufacturing expedience. There are very few places where Amel took shortcuts, so I guess I can forgive them this one.  Where our wood was coated, it was coated with glass and resin, not simply paint.

If the plywood is "moldy" it is almost certainly past the point where it can be saved, although others with more wooden boat experience than I might have some useful suggestions.

We replaced the horizontal plywood in our boat completely, and ground off a layer or two from the vertical bulkhead down to hard, dry wood before covering it with fiberglass and resin.  If you dig back a few months in the forum archives you'll find a lot of discussion about the various approaches to this project.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Freeport, Bahamas

---In amelyachtowners@..., <no_reply@...> wrote :

I take all the chain out every year to clean the anchor locker and as has been noted on previous posts, the plywood ceiling is always mouldy.  Does anybody know why the anchor locker is painted halfway up with white paint and the rest of the fiberglass is left bare and the plywood ceiling is left unpainted?  Has anybody painted the sides and especially the plywood ceiling?  If so, what paint was used?  Does anybody know what the existing white paint is?

Gerhard Hoffmann

Pepino SM381

Greece