From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2018 3:50 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Main Sail Furler

For some time in heavy air while furling the main , the motor did not seem strong enough. I now believe it may have been that the furler had a bearing that was near seizing . Last fall the main would not roll out , assuming it was the motor , I used a winch handle  and the it would not budge , eventually I broke it free and sailed on. At the end of the season I dismantled the gearbox and found the tapered bearing was completely seized. So if you think your furler is a littlle slow/weak , you may want to have a look inside. Duane posted some pics that were helpful . It took me longer to find the seals than the bearings, so I thought I would post the bearing and seal info and sources.

Bearings: Source , Motion Industries - Tapered bearing item # 32009xm-90kmi   , Bore 45mm, OD. 75mm, Width 20mm , Manufacturer Timken

Ball Bearing , item # 9105k Bore 25mm, OD. 47mm, Width 12mm  Manufacturer Fafnir

Oil Seals : Source , Metric Seals Inc. 45mmX60mmX7mm    25mmX33mm X6mm

You will need one each of bearings and seals

Pat

SM Shenanigans