Inability To Remove Port Side Genoa Gearbox

pacificcool@...

For the past year and a half, Pacific Cool (SM 141 built in 1995) has had a port side genoa winch that works electrically, but is drawing 160 amps versus 30 amp for the starboard winch. Technicians in Cape Town and Trinidad tried to remove the gear box with a hydraulic puller but it would not budge.  Recently, I removed the motor which drives the gearbox and it seems to be in good condition, so I assume its the gearbox which has a bad bearing or is really gunked up.  There appear to be four nuts holding the gearbox to the underside of the winch and a gear inserts up into the winch which prevents complete disassembly of the winch itself.  Two days ago the winch stopped working electrically, but I can hear the motor turning with no movement of the winch.  It still works manually.  I checked with AMEL in Martinique last year and they had no clue what to do.

At this point it seems the best thing to do is sell the boat.  But hopefully someone has a good idea on what to do.  Any ideas welcome.  I am currently in Guadeloupe.

Best Regards,

Bill Shaproski

S/V Pacific Cool