Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Inability To Remove Port Side Genoa Gearbox
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, March 10, 2018, 1:45 PM

For the past year and a half, Pacific
Cool (SM 141 built in 1995) has had a port side genoa winch
that works electrically, but is drawing 160 amps versus 30
amp for the starboard winch. Technicians in Cape Town and
Trinidad tried to remove the gear box with a hydraulic
puller but it would not budge.  Recently, I removed the
motor which drives the gearbox and it seems to be in good
condition, so I assume its the gearbox which has a
bad bearing or is
really gunked up.  There appear to be four nuts
holding the gearbox to the underside of the winch and a gear
inserts up into the winch which prevents complete
disassembly of the winch itself.  Two days ago the winch
stopped working electrically, but I can hear the motor
turning with no movement of the winch.  It still works
manually.  I checked with AMEL in Martinique last year and
they had no clue what to do.
At this point it seems the best
thing to do is sell the boat.  But hopefully someone has a
good idea on what to do.  Any ideas welcome.  I am
currently in Guadeloupe.
Best
Regards,Bill
ShaproskiS/V Pacific