Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Inability To Remove Port Side Genoa Gearbox
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, March 11, 2018, 2:04 PM

Alexandre,
Do you have a gearbox for main sail
furling for sale?

Vladimir
SM 345
"Life is Goog"
On Mar 10, 2018 12:26,
"Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@rocketmail.com
[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
wrote:

Hello Bill,

For information, if you can not have the issue solved, I
have an complete Leewmar 58 electric winch for sale.

Sincerely, Alexandre

------------------------------ --------------

On Sat, 3/10/18, pacificcool@yahoo.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Inability To Remove Port Side
Genoa Gearbox

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com

Date: Saturday, March 10, 2018, 1:45 PM

For the past year and a half, Pacific

Cool (SM 141 built in 1995) has had a port side genoa
winch

that works electrically, but is drawing 160 amps versus
30

amp for the starboard winch. Technicians in Cape Town
and

Trinidad tried to remove the gear box with a hydraulic

puller but it would not budge.  Recently, I removed the

motor which drives the gearbox and it seems to be in
good

condition, so I assume its the gearbox which has a

bad bearing or is

really gunked up.  There appear to be four nuts

holding the gearbox to the underside of the winch and a
gear

inserts up into the winch which prevents complete

disassembly of the winch itself.  Two days ago the
winch

stopped working electrically, but I can hear the motor

turning with no movement of the winch.  It still works

manually.  I checked with AMEL in Martinique last year
and

they had no clue what to do.

At this point it seems the best

thing to do is sell the boat.  But hopefully someone has

good idea on what to do.  Any ideas welcome.  I am

currently in Guadeloupe.

Best

Regards,Bill

ShaproskiS/V Pacific