Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Baby on Board and where to go in the Bahamas -

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Eric,

First of all congratulations for little Nolan coming this June !!!

I love the Bahamas.
Just like you I work so internet is important to me.

One of my favorite place is Port Lucaya in Grand Bahama because of the reasonable monthly marina rate, access to groceries and other infrastructure, etc.
In 2014 I spent 4 months in Port Lucaya Marina / Yacht Club and paid $600/month.
In 2015 I spent 3 months in Taino Beach (also in Port Lucaya) which became my favorite and paid $540/month.
Because of their huge pool with a some shallow area, I am certain you, Viki and especially little Nolan will love this place!
I can look for pictures to send you.
The beach 3 minutes walk away from the marina, they are places to walk, lay down, etc.
They also loan you towels for a $10 deposit and you can exchange them as often as you want, which you will realize is a considerable saving on laundry/generator time especially with the little one!.
I used my bicycle to go grocery shopping, but they have a bus going twice a week. In the super market you will find groceries as well as baby supplies.
I can not imagine a better place for you and your family.
Regarding the draft, you will have to wait almost “mid tide” to enter/leave the Bell Channel.
Port Lucaya is only 90 NM from Miami/Fort Lauderdale, so less than a day trip should you need to go. They i also an international airport.

Later in I also suggest you spend 1 months in Great Harbor Cay in the Berry Island. It is an overnight trip from Grand Bahama.
I was there in low season so the price was $540/month, the prices are higher now, but I think you can negotiate and you get a discount with Active Captain.
Surprisingly the internet was the best I have seen in the Bahamas.
There was no issue to enter the channel even at low tide.
The beach was 20 minutes walk from the marina. They loan you bicycle if you don’t have any, the water is clearest I have seen.
There was no real grocery store some come prepared, therefore the fishermen come back every afternoon with 250 to 250 lobsters and sell you “tail only” for $10/lbs. Sailing along the coast is excellent for fishing!

As Nolan grows up (but wait him to be tall enough for all the ride), then a stop in Atlantis is a must. Not sure who will like the place the most Nolan or dad! But it is quite expensive per day. Nassau is an overnight trip from the Berry Island.
There is no worry for the draft. Atlantis is also very protected from Hurricane.

Hope that helps, please feel free to contact me directly if you want pictures of the places.

Enjoy your trip!
Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Baby on Board and where to go in the Bahamas -
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, March 11, 2018, 11:18 PM

Hello amel family.
Viki and I are expecting (this is
why the boat is on the hard right now) our first little crew
member
Nolan
(insert middle name)  Meury will be arriving this
June.
Our plan is
to spend November and December around Stuart Florida as
Nolan will be signed up for infant water survival classes
there.  Then we are thinking of heading the bahamas for a
month and then back to GA where we will keep the boat for
the next hurricane season.
I have two requirements for the
bahamas...
1.  Some place that has access
to mobile internet or awesome wifi as i still have to work m
start up (www.pascalworkflow.com) and my tax
practice.
2.  Some place that we don't
have to worry about draft (marsh harbor or Georgetown? -
other ideas)

Also would love some Amel specific
or non amel specific for those that have had their baby on
board.
Thanks
again