Heading Sensor vs. Solid State Compass???

Duane Siegfri

I'm confused with the terminology.

My new chartplotter manual says it needs a Heading Sensor in order to overlay the Radar on the chart.

I'm thinking of using the Airmar 220WX for wind at the top of the mast, especially since it incorporates a GPS and a "three axis solid state compass with dynamic stabilization".

Is "Heading Sensor" just another term for "solid state compass"?

One other thing: Is a compass at the top of the mast subject to error or wide swings due to mast movement in a sea?  What about the GPS...same question?

Thanks,

Duane