Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Black Smoke From Volvo Penta Engine Exhaust

Alex Ramseyer <alexramseyer@...>

When I had similar symptoms my turbo charger was clogged. I had a lot of black smoke instead of power, but after the turbo freed itself, everything went back to normal.
Alex
NO STRESS

On Thursday, March 15, 2018, 12:15:50 PM GMT-4, pacificcool@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

I removed the elbow in Point-a-Pitre and it was almost blocked with very hard carbon deposits.  I'd guess that it was only 30% open. Even so the engine ran well. The turbo turns freely so is probably OK.  Unfortunately, they don't have the elbow here and must order it.  Will be at least a week.  The mechanic who looked at it said the elbow should be replaced every 3 years. He says that it is not possible to just clean out the carbon, but I don;t understand why not.  It's the first I'd heard about the 3 year removal requirement and saw nothing in the Operating Manual which has all of the routine maintenance identified. Just sending this to close out the question.  Thanks for all the good suggestions.