Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Black Smoke From Volvo Penta Engine Exhaust

Craig Briggs

Hi Alexandre,
Yes indeed, my oops; indeed it's 1500/1800 rpms. I was thinking of the Fischer Panda generators that run at 3000/3600 rpms. My genset is a 4.8/6.0 kw Northern Lights at 1500/1800.
My AC panel (from Paneltronics, not original Amel) includes an ampmeter so I can see the load on the genset (or shore power).
Cheers, Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <uster@...> wrote :

Good morning Craig,
If I may step in, the Onan actually run at either 1500 or 1800 rpm depending on its frequency setting.
The load is the issue, which why several owner (Bill, Gary, Eric, etc.) have add Alternate Current Multimeter.
Illustration of the installation on NIKIMAT:
http://www.nikimat.com/blue_sea_ac_multimeter_8247.html

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Black Smoke From Volvo Penta Engine Exhaust
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Friday, March 16, 2018, 8:48 AM
Hi Eric,You bring up an
interesting point when you say you had the same carbon build
up problem in your genset exhaust elbow, caused by not
running at high enough rpm's. Unless you've got a
variable speed genset, it always will be running at a high
rpm (3000 or 3600 depending on Hertz), so rpm may not be the
only issue. Isn't it low load that's the
issue? So
when Yanmar says to run the engine way up, no doubt
they're assuming it will be in gear and will present a
full load from the propeller. I think the genset analogy
would be to load it with not just battery charging, but also
get the Admiral to run her hair dryer, make toast, wash
clothes and iron your shorts. Not a bad regimen,
actually.Sound about
right?Cheers,
Craig SN#68 Sangaris

---In
amelyachtowners@..., <kimberlite@...>
wrote :

Hi,I had his problem with my
genset. It is caused by not running a diesel at about 80% of
its redline. Diesels like to work hard. Our diesels are not
run that hard so is the main engine.Yanmar suggests to run
the engine way up. In my case 3000 rpm for 15 minutes  a
few time a dayThis blows the carbon out
of the turbo and the exhaust system.    The carbon is usually
glass hard.However if the elbow is
not perforated due to corrosion, I would try  to break out
the carbon.You might try something
like a dremel tool with a hard steel bit, or even better a
carbide bit ,or a small cutoff disk. Being that they have
ordered a new elbow for you,  you could go Medieval” on
the elbow.  On eBay there is a fellow
that makes beautiful Yanmar elbows out of stainless steel.
They are much better than the factory unit. Possibly he
makes elbows for your engine.Fair
WindsEricKimberlite Amel Super
Maramu #376