From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 9:49 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Black Smoke From Volvo Penta Engine Exhaust

Hi Eric,

You bring up an interesting point when you say you had the same carbon build up problem in your genset exhaust elbow, caused by not running at high enough rpm's. Unless you've got a variable speed genset, it always will be running at a high rpm (3000 or 3600 depending on Hertz), so rpm may not be the only issue. Isn't it low load that's the issue?

So when Yanmar says to run the engine way up, no doubt they're assuming it will be in gear and will present a full load from the propeller. I think the genset analogy would be to load it with not just battery charging, but also get the Admiral to run her hair dryer, make toast, wash clothes and iron your shorts. Not a bad regimen, actually.

Sound about right?

Cheers, Craig SN#68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <kimberlite@...> wrote :

Hi,

I had his problem with my genset. It is caused by not running a diesel at about 80% of its redline. Diesels like to work hard. Our diesels are not run that hard so is the main engine.

Yanmar suggests to run the engine way up. In my case 3000 rpm for 15 minutes  a few time a day

This blows the carbon out of the turbo and the exhaust system.

The carbon is usually glass hard.

However if the elbow is not perforated due to corrosion, I would try  to break out the carbon.

You might try something like a dremel tool with a hard steel bit, or even better a carbide bit ,or a small cutoff disk. Being that they have ordered a new elbow for you,  you could go Medieval” on the elbow.

On eBay there is a fellow that makes beautiful Yanmar elbows out of stainless steel. They are much better than the factory unit. Possibly he makes elbows for your engine.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376