Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New member question

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Paul,
Congratulations for looking for an Amel!

3300 hours is “nothing” for a properly maintained Diesel engine.
Personally I would stick with original equipment, it will be easier to get help from the Amel Forum.

Since you are going to Martinique, have you looked at Caraibe Yachts.
This is where I purchased my SM2K five years ago.
I used Jean Paul Bahuaud jp.bahuaud@caribbean-yachts.com and was very happy with the service.
I think now he has Olaf’ Santorin in his inventory, who now purchased an SM2K
http://www.caraibe-yachts.com/fr/occasions.php?recherche=constructeur&constructeur=1&longueur=0:0
I am sure this is a very well maintain vessel.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] New member question
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 4:54 PM

Hello
all, I just registered with this group because, after
careful consideration of several bluewater yacht brands (we
are past Pacific Seacraft owners), and time spent as crew on
a Super Maramu, we have (almost) decided to purchase our own
Amel.  Next week we are headed for Martinique to look at a
few and I have a question for the group.
We will be looking at 2 Santorins
and a SM.
My
question:  One of the Santorins, a 1991, was re-powered
in 2011 with a "Midif MD 1760."  Looking this up
I find it is a 50-hp turbocharged Mitsubishi-built engine,
distributed by Midif in France.  I could find no reviews or
discussion on this engine anywhere online.  Does anybody
have any experience with or reliable info on this engine?
 Reliability?  Is it suitable for a Santorin?  I assume
all parts and support would need to come from the
distributor in France.
I will know more after a week on
Martinique, but I am trying to be a well-informed
shopper...
The other
Santorin, a 1999, while "younger", has its
original Volvo engine with 3300 hr (and original standing
rigging), vs. the "older" Santorin which has the
young Midif engine with 812 hr (and new standing rigging and
seacocks).
Don't
want to post too much at once.  Thanks for any
advice.
Regards,
Paul
Cooper