Re: Furuno Fax 30 (Weatherfax)...Repair?....Worthwhile?

greatketch@...

To download weatherfaxes over the air I use my Icom 710, a  Mac laptop, and a freeware program called "Multimode Cocoa".

http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/multimodeOSX.html

Works a treat.  There were some issues connecting the Mac to the audio output of the radio, but it has been so long since I did it, I have to confess I have forgotten the issue and solution.  I do remember it was an Apple specific issue...

Multimode Cocoa is a program written by, and for, ham radio geeks, so it is not always the most user friendly thing around, but it works.

Getting the synoptic charts by satellite would be nice, that way I wouldn't have to worry about the broadcast schedule.  Unfortunately, it would overload our satellite data plan pretty quickly. That, and the email request function for the charts from the USCG is a 1980's technology solution.  It works, but is a total PITA.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Great Guana Cay, Abacos, Bahamas