Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: How much anchor chain?

James Alton

Nick,

   I hope that you are also enjoying the transition from a yawl to a ketch.  (grin)

   If you search on grade 70 chain in the Amel Groups you will find a lot if information on this subject.  I seem to recall that JPG who owns the SM 007 is using 5/16” (8 MM) grade 70 on his 53’ SM.  It would be best to get this information direct from the source if possible.  Given that Amel originally installed 10 mm on your boat I would have to think that it is adequate.  You could make an inquiry to see what grade they used originally.

Best,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On Mar 24, 2018, at 3:32 AM, kwzy6vgkpvtfohjddjsrotobzwf2pjeafjwalhur@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have an Amel 54 (Amelia #019 2006) she is my third boat and my largest.  I have concerns that 10mm chain is not strong enough, for such a large vessel. She has very rusty 10mm chain. Unknown grade, but presumably supplied by Amel from new.

Does anyone know what grade 10mm chain Amel supplied

My last boat was 46 ft and 10T, a Bowman 46. I cruised her extensively and used 10mm Aqua 4 chain. Never felt like it would break.

My previous boat to that was a 35 ft Gaff cutter (Faith of Norfolk) Also 10T that I circumnavigated and used 10mm chain. I am not sure what grade it was. I also felt than the chain was super strong.

The sheer size and windage of Amelia suggests to me that she needs 12mm chain not 10mm.  Not to mention the massive bow rollers and well built bow structure and anchoring system sporting what to my eye looks like puny chain!

However looking at the (aquachain.it) Maggi chain web site I find that if I use Aqua 7 10mm grade chain then I will have a breaking strain that is more than the 12mm  grade 4.

The drawbacks are price and re-galvanising. Apparently re-galvanising grade 7 may weaken it slightly though not by very much.

Any thoughts out there?

Nick