Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Genset starter voltage drop

Most of the time the issue is a weak starting battery. The Onan is vulnerable because the legnth of wire from the battery is twice as long as your main engine.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018, 07:25 sharongbrown@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm seeing  voltage drop to my Onan 11KVA genset to the point that the starter won't turn enough to start the generator. The drop seems to be mostly between the input to the white control box and its output to the starter. I have been unsuccessful in pinning it down to any particular terminal and suspect there may be a connection hidden somewhere in this white box. Under load the voltage at the input to the white box is about 9V, and at the output about 6V. I did not yet dismantle the white box because it means uncoupling the exhaust I wonder if anyone has any experience of this and would be able to provide some advice.

At the same I would just like to say that I'm very grateful for all the help I've been given by members of this forum and hope that one day I may know enough to be able to reciprocate!

Cheers,
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98