Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] lost my bowthruster

christian alby <calbyy@...>

thanks for reply
I am in Guadeloupe - Marina du bas du fort
still searching even though limited by traffic in channel , poor visibility & loads of mud ...

christian alby - Désirade VIII - maramu 116 - Marina Bas du Fort Guadeloupe

Christian Alby - France home fixe +33 (0)5 34 39 06 02 home Internet +33 (0)9 60 37 22 72 mobile +33 (0)6 42 69 07 80

Le ‎lundi‎ ‎26‎ ‎mars‎ ‎2018‎ ‎18‎:‎46‎:‎31‎ ‎-04, Courtney Gorman Itsfun1@... [amelyachtowners] a écrit :

Hi Porter Courtney here I am on dock 3 and here is my Cell I will be around the boat tomorrow afternoon as Alban is stopping by. Please come by if you can or call 7656038743

Cheers
Courtney
sv Trippin

On Mar 26, 2018, at 11:41 AM, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Sad situation. Dive gear is the answer.  I’ll go over for an oring. Grill grate. Dinghy lock. Anything. Replacement effort>>>finding effort. At least for me.

A set of teen girls hungry for cash also helps.

Porter
Amel 54-152
Arriving Marin, Martinique!

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Mar 26, 2018, at 8:43 AM, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Christina Alby,

   Sorry to hear about the loss of your bow thruster.  If I understand you correctly, the thruster simply feel out due to the loss of the retaining bolts so it may be undamaged?  If so, I would be inclined to do a pretty serious search for the bow thruster. The assembly being fibreglass is quite light so might not sink far into the mud.  I would suggest hiring a diver to have a good look to see if the unit can be recovered.  If the water clarity is really poor, an underwater metal detector should pick up the metal drive shaft.

   The shaft hole could be closed with a thick (3/4- 1”)  piece of plywood (be sure that the glue is exterior grade) inside and outside of the hole + a compressible gasket using a bolt passing through the center of the plywood to compress the gasket.

   There is recent discussion on the BB about plugging the shaft hole and filling the exterior cutout.

   I really hope that you can find your old bow thruster.

Best of luck,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On Mar 26, 2018, at 6:18 AM, calbyy@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

during port movement to take in diesel & cast off to Europe, I lost my bowthruster (mechanical part) due apparently to 3 screws linking tube to motor coming off (my fault leaving protection on & masking the screws & collar when moving the bowthruster asm).

went down in about 1 M of mud; definetly lost.

I am building a dummy in steel to enter the well & close the ingress of water but also to resist the water surge in well when sailing in heavy seas.

Anybody tried it before ? tips, clues on design, risks (bolt shearing, steel dummy damaging hull ...).

I shall go slow & look for the high pressure zone to avoid heavy seas but the passage from Guadeloupe to Gibraltar is minimum 21 to 26 days ... with lows hitting the north Atlantic ...

all ideas welcome, fellows.

fair winds

christian alby - Désirade VIII - maramu 116 - now in Guadeloupe, Marina Bas du Fort