Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: ballooner halyard ends

Ryan Meador

Hi Bill,
That's very interesting.  None of my halyards have splices in them.  The ends that attach to the head furler are tied on with a bowline, and the other ends are just whipped.  To extend the halyards, I've sewn the extension using whipping twine.  I thought that was the usual way it's done.

I also don't believe any of my lines are seized, I think everywhere that has an eye has a splice.  These lines are clearly not original, though.  But the previous owner did keep the same color scheme, sizes, and materials.

I'm inclined to request a normal, small eye splice on both ends of the new ballooner halyard.  No reason not to make it symmetric, right?

Thanks,
Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 2:17 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

The eye isn't a problem going through the mast. We feed the eye in the main halyard up the mast and over the sheave it every time we take our mainsail down (which will be happening as soon as the wind dies down to fix the leech cord--but that is another story.)

The core splice on covered high tech line is a lot easier and faster to do than a "regular" double braid eye splice.  I am not sure why Amel used seized loops on all the lines instead of splices, but I suspect is was more than "strong enough" and was at least a bit more "expeditious."

There is no need to take them apart to thread the line through the mast and over the sheave.  Most of the lines I have replaced, I put "real" splices in.  There have been a few where the length of the slice would interfere with the function, and I kept seizings on those.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Manjack Cay, Abacos, Bahamas

---In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the great info, as always.  Your description makes perfect sense.  So it seems like my setup is missing a shackle (which might be in some drawer somewhere), and the strange splice-in-the-core is not a critical component (and maybe even a stopgap "fix" to a degrading line).  I should just get a normal eye spliced into both ends (one possibly with a shackle).  I wonder if I'll be able to feed the new rope through the mast with an eye on it... I think every other line that has a splice on one end is just whipped on the other end, so you can feed it through one way.

Thanks,
Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA