From: "alex.paquin@... [amelyachtowners]"
Date: 3/27/18 2:11 AM (GMT+01:00)
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] HULL GELCOAT REFURBISHING PROJECT - OLDER MARAMU

Hello to all,

I just wanted to share in a few words what we are doing on the boat, for those who asked . The boat has been on the hard since January 22nd 2018, in NAVIMCA Shipyard, in the city of Cumaná, Venezuela, state of Sucre. (by the way it  is the oldest continuously-inhabited, European-established settlement in the continent).

In 2012-2013 Simpatico got new gelcoat on the deck, dodge, (removed), cockpit, deck storage spaces, and heads (fiberglass areas). At this time we also repowered with a Yanmar 4JH4-HTE engine (only engine available at the time in Venezuela) and refurbished engine room, the vinyl floors, upholstery, mattresses, refrigerator, nav instruments and electronics. Simpatico has no fuel generator and relies on 400W solar and 400W wind generators, with a 430 Ah battery bank.

I posted some pictures of the yard and the progress of the work, carried out by a friend of ours, which we estimate will last about 120 days. The yard just provides the space and the basic services.

We will be applying about 60 Kg of fresh gelcoat  by INTEQUIM), a primer and antifouling by Montana, all manufactured in Venezuela.

So basically the old gelcoat has been sanded down, all old layers of antifouling removed. So the fiberglass is being repaired where needed, especially the keel, the sides and the aft area which had a lot of damage, after 37 years in the water. So the gelcoat will be sprayed on, and sanded numerous times until we get a good smooth durable coat.

The costs of this job in local currency is very competitive (the yard will be about US$400 including use of the Travelift). It is 5 hours driving from home, but worth the trouble. The weather is good (28ºC) no rain, a little too windy for spraying, we hope it dies down a  bit in the coming days.

Alex Paquin

SIMPATICO

Older Maramu 1981

Hull#94