Re: In Mast Electric Furler question

Craig Briggs

Arlo,
This sounds like a typical reduction gearbox failure. With some deterioration in the worm shaft bearings over time the worm shaft goes a bit wobbly. Since it takes more force to furl than to unfurl, especially if the main isn't slacked, this wears down the teeth of the worm wheel on the side that is being loaded up each time it's furled.

After a while the worm is not engaging the wheel on furling, but there's still enough "meat" on the gear teeth for it to engage when unfurling. A likely cause is water ingress that's rusted out the bearings, which is why it's good to install grease fittings on the gearbox.

Time for a new reduction gearbox, which is likely cheaper and more reliable than a rebuild.  I don't know which gearbox was on your boat, but see many posts on getting replacements, which should be easy.

Good luck with it,
Craig Briggs SN#68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <svplanb@...> wrote :

Hello all, looking for the collective wisdom from this group. I have a 1985 Mango. I suspect that this question might apply to all of the electric furlers despite their design differences over the years.

Below are the symptoms

  • The mainsail unfurls with the electric motor without issue and is fast and reliable.
  • The mainsail will not furl in (counter clockwise around the mast) with the electric motor, the motor sounds like it is spinning
  • If I use the hand crank on the front of the motor mast, it furls in easily. So nothing is jammed, stuck or dragging inside the mast
  • If I unfurl the sail all the way out and keep going which results in the mainsail furling in the opposite direction (clockwise) around the mast it furls without problem
So my thoughts are that its is either
  • Solenoid issue
  • Electrical connect issue (corrosion) on that side of the motor
  • Maybe a worn gear on the motor that impacts that one direction only
Has anyone had this problem?

BTW the boat sails awesome!

Thanks
Arlo